Sunday, September 2, 2007

Leche Flan (Custard)


























I was making sure I am eating healthy but… I had a left over egg yolks from my egg white omelets. All I could think of is the Filipino style leche flan. This is a very sinful and tasty dessert unfortunately. Aside from its tempting taste I haven’t tried making it. But since I consider myself as a person who can at least make my husband happy on the table I was positive I can make leche flan. I had 3 tsp of the custard by the way and had to throw the rest of it because no matter how delicious it is I know it will not do well in my fat body. My leche flan was a success though.





YOU NEED:

8 egg yolks
1 can (14 oz) condensed milk
1 ½ cup evaporated milk (I used fat free skim milk)
¼ tsp grated lemon rind
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup sugar




WHAT TO DO:

1. Divide ½ cup sugar and pour in 6” oval pan (see the photo)
2. Melt sugar in the pan over low heat. Allow to caramelized sugar evenly
3. Stir egg yolks until well-blended but not frothy
4. Pour skim milk and condensed milk slowly on the egg yolk. Stir
5. Add lemon rind and vanilla. Mix well
6. Pour mixture in the 2 pans with caramelized sugar
7. Place pans in a larger, shallow baking pan containing hot water about halfway up the sides of the 2 pans
8. Preheat oven to 190 degrees
9. Place pan in the middle shelf of the oven
10. Bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean
11. Let cool at room temperature
12. Chill for several hours before serving.

No comments: