Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sinigang Na Manok


Three years ago I didn't know how to cook Filipino food, honest! I mean I know how to sauté and fry veggies, meat, fish etc. however there are Filipino dishes that I wish I can eat anytime. I can easily get this food when we lived in Singapore. There are places there that you can dine in or buy a take away like Lucky Plaza. It was a different story though when we lived in Bangkok, Bali, Australia and Beijing. I wasn’t really looking for this dishes but I found out I needed to learn because when I got pregnant with Trinity I got cravings for Filipino food. I had to call and ask my Mom how to make an “Isdang Paksiw” (fish cooked in vinegar, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper etc…) when we were in Bangkok, I was 3 months pregnant then. Janice (my brother in-law’s wife) was kind enough to cook “Kaldereta” (beef stew) for me when we were in Australia (I was 4 months pregnant). So I started cooking and learning our food; today’s dish is one of the popular dishes in the Philippines.

YOU NEED:

600 grams of chicken
1 bunch of kangkong (water spinach)
1 medium size eggplant
1 small chayote (sayote)
1 chopped onion
2 minced garlic
2 chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp of olive oil
3 cups of water
Pepper
Fish sauce



WHAT TO DO:



1. Sauté garlic, onion and tomatoes
2. Add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes until brown
3. Add water and fish sauce to taste
4. Let it boil for 10 minutes
5. Add chayote and cook for 3-4 minutes
6. Add eggplant cover for 2 minutes
7. Adjust the taste by adding more fish sauce and pepper
8. Add kangkong and let it boil for another 2-3 minutes.


No comments: