Saturday, October 13, 2007

Cinnamon Whole Wheat Rolls


Whole wheat flour is rare in our province in the Philippines. When I was a child this flour has to be ordered in Manila to be able to make a nice and hot whole wheat bread. Ohhh I just remembered how delicious it was while I was eating with my church mates. I am enjoying making my own bread and cakes now because I can control how much sugar and salt I can put in. The last time I went to Ormoc City, Leyte (where I was born) Dad was able to buy whole wheat sliced bread. But I still didn’t find the flour in the supermarket. During my parents visit here in our home in Jakarta my Mom was talking about cinnamon whole wheat rolls; and this gave me the idea to try making it. I thought it is a bit of a work but it wasn't really difficult. After researching for a recipe on the net this was my first attempt and it was a success. We got so excited after it was baked that is why there was a few rolls left on the photo.

YOU NEED:

2 tbsp yeast
2 cups lukewarm water
¼ cup honey
¾ cup olive oil
2 fresh eggs
6 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt

Cinnamon Filling:

3 tbsp melted butter or margarine
1 ½ cup granulated brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon


WHAT TO DO:

1. Dissolve yeast in water and honey for about 5 minutes.
2. Place all ingredients in the mixing bowl and knead until it loosens from sides of the bowl.
3. Place in large oiled bowl and let it rise until about double. Be sure it is in a warm place.
4. Mixed the cinnamon filling mixture in a bowl.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently shape the dough into a rectangle with the long side nearest you.
6. Sprinkle the filling mixture over the dough.
7. Roll up each rectangle, jelly-roll style, starting from one of the long sides. Pinch seams to seal.
8. With a knife, cut roll into 1 1/2-inch.
9. Arrange rolls cut side down in the baking dish; cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
10. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or till golden brown.

No comments: