Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Palitaw


My parents are here in Jakarta for a month holiday. I was on my diet before they arrived, I was disciplined enough to eat the right food. Well, one day I was talking with my Mom about “Bilo-bilo” this is actually small balls made of glutinous rice flour and water. She mentioned that we can also make “Palitaw” made of glutinous rice flour and water as well. She told me it is quiet difficult to make this because we have to soak the glutinous rice in the water, then have it grind. I told her that glutinous rice flout is already available in the supermarkets. She was surprised so I bought one plastic bag of it last week to prove her that it’s real. To show her that it taste the same as the old style I had to make something from it. I made “Ginataang Bilo-bilo” yesterday; this is cooked with small balls of glutinous rice flour with water, coconut cream, sugar, taro, banana and sweet potato. I was carried away by this flour so I decided to make Palitaw the following day. Mom made this when I was very young so there I go cooking it with her guidance. Sorry I didn’t have the exact measurement of the ingredients but it is actually very easy.

YOU NEED:

Glutinous rice flour
Freshly grated coconut
White sugar
Sesame seeds

WHAT TO DO:

1. Toast sesame seeds in a small pan until brown. Let it cool.
2. Combine freshly grated coconut, sugar and sesame seeds.
3. Boil water in the pan.
4. Mix desired amount of glutinous flour with water.
5. Make sure water is just enough to hold the flour together. Too much water is too difficult to form a desirable size because it will stick on your palm.
6. Form a ball same size as the golf ball or smaller.
7. Drop in boiling water.
8. Remove from the water as soon as it floats on the surface.
9. Flatten the dough right away.
10. Roll in the mixed coconut, sugar and sesame seeds.


So there you go, my first "Palitaw"! Enjoy!

No comments: