Friday, January 15, 2010

Eggplant in Honey and Soy Sauce



My husband’s Christmas gift is a new camera hurray! That means I can capture the food that I cooked, if I am not too hungry to put them in my mouth first before I can grab the camera lol. Well it happens most of the time just like our lunch and dinner yesterday. Today though I managed to take a photo of this dish that I cooked for lunch, I was very hungry but I told myself it will only take a few seconds hehehe. Now I like my eggplant to be soggy and brown in colour for this dish so if you prefer to see a little bit of whitest colour in your eggplant you may do so. This dish is for 1 serving but if you don’t eat as much as me then guess what the left over tasted much better.


By the way, I don’t normally follow the exact measurements of any recipes unless I am intimidated in the dish like my disaster roast turkey for our Christmas dinner last month. I am not going into details about that hehehe.. So may I suggest that you add a little bit of water and honey first, and then keep adding more of each until you are satisfied with the taste? I eat this with steam rice and a grilled salmon. Yummy!

You need:

1 tsp Olive oil

1 clove garlic

1 small Onion

1 big tomato or 2 medium size tomato

1 Eggplant – medium size – cut into bite size

¼ cup Soy Sauce (I always use Kikkoman)

½ cup Water

1 ½ tsp Honey



1. Heat oil in the pan then sauté garlic, then the chopped onion once garlic is almost brown.

2. Add tomato then the eggplant and sauté for another minute or so.

3. Add the eggplant stirring for a minute then pour the soy sauce over. Cover the pan and leave it until it boils in a medium heat. Please do check to make sure the soy sauce doesn’t dry up.

4. Taste it and add a little bit of water if the taste of soy sauce is too strong for you. Add more if you wish then let it simmer for another minute.

5. You can then add honey probably 1 tsp to start with. If you think the soy sauce was still strong add more water. Let it simmer again for 3 minutes.

6. Keep adjusting the taste by adding more honey and water until you are satisfied with the taste.

7. Serve it hot.

No comments: