Friday, January 15, 2010

Plum Pudding with Vanilla Custard



We wanted to have plum pudding as a dessert for Christmas dinner, however we were not able to eat it  because everyone is full. I was hoping to serve it the following day which is another celebrated day in Australia; they call this day “Boxing Day”. Oh no, they don’t fight inside the ring with their boxing gloves on lol. I asked hubby and my in-laws why it’s called Boxing Day and unfortunately most of them have no idea why it was called boxing, they said there were a few stories blah blah blah . So, I went to find it myself instead.


According to the Wikipedia, this day is also celebrated in United Kingdom, New Zealand and amongst other countries. The traditional recorded celebration of Boxing Day has long included giving money and other gifts to those who were needy and in service positions. The European tradition has been dated to the middle Ages, but the exact origin is unknown and there are some claims that it goes back to the late Roman/early Christian era; metal boxes were placed outside churches used to collect special offerings tied to the Feast of Saint Stephen.[4] In the United Kingdom it certainly became a custom of the nineteenth century Victorians for tradesmen to collect their "Christmas boxes" or gifts in return for good and reliable service throughout the year on the day after Christmas.[5] However, the exact etymology of the term "Boxing" is unclear, with several competing theories, none of which is definitively true.[6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

So there.


Going back to the pudding, we invited my Mum in-law, Mum’s sister who happened to visit her so they can spend a New Year together (how sweet!), my brother in-law and his wife for dinner the 2nd January. A few minutes after dinner my hubby approached and asked me what I prepared for dessert so I told him “pudding”! He agreed right away! So I started boiling the water in the pot because it takes 45 minutes to get a warm pudding. All I did was boil enough water in the pot to make sure the tin is almost covered. Once we put the tin inside the pot let it simmer in a low heat. The photo below has been simmering for 35 minutes so most of the water had evaporated already. Instructions are on the back of the tin so you will be alright if you want to try the same brand next Christmas. Just let me know if it was in fact 45 or 50 minutes because I am not sure now lol. We had 2,000 grams of vanilla custard in the fridge but the seven of us only used half of it, that’s 2 small bottles of custard. We had a bit of left over because I believe this is good for 10 people.

My verdict is this.... it was the nicest plum pudding I have tasted from a can! It was moist and simply perfect! I will never hesitate to buy the Big Sister brand again next Christmas and paired it with Oak Vanilla Traditional Custard from Dairy Farmers.

Now if you excuse me, I need to run around the house to get rid of the excess fat I have gained since last month hahaha...









1 comment:

Unknown said...

HOW CAN WE GET BIG SISTER PLUM PUDDING 1.25KG IN QUEENSLAND