Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"My first attempt of Puto Ube"


A good friend of mine made halo-halo when she had a dinner with us a few months ago. She brought ube jam with her to add in the halo-halo and left the rest of the jam to me yay! So when my sister asked me if I am interested in the Puto Ube recipe last night, I said yes! As I was searching for the banana cake recipe, I realised I had written down a puto recipe (without ube) in my journal a few years back. I didn't even get a chance to try cooking it. It calls for 4 egg whites.

While preparing and mixing the banana cake my husband asked what was the liquid thingy in the bowl inside the fridge (I used the egg yolks for the carbonara sauce 2 nights ago). I said it's 4 egg whites and there you go, I told myself to cook the puto after my banana cake. It taste good but I wish it had risen more as I mistakenly used baking soda instead of baking powder. I also added 1/4 cup of ube jam. I will try this again perhaps using my sister's recipe. For the meantime I am not going to share you the recipe for now until I get the right texture of puto hehehe...

(Halo-halo from Tagalog word halò, "mix") is a popular Filipino dessert that is a mixture of shaved ice and evaporated milk to which are added various boiled sweet beans and fruits, and served in a tall glass or bowl http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo-halo .

No comments: