Friday, June 29, 2007

Kabayan's Cassava cake


I didn't know what to bring for another gathering of my friends in Singapore. All my good kitchen utensils are in the shipment so it was difficult to cook. I was asking some of my friends who are attending the gathering for any suggestions and my good friend Taluks suggested "halayang ube" or "cassava cake" in Kabayan restaurant in Lucky Plaza. I called the restaurant to inquire about these sweets and told me the price was something like $22 sing dollars per order. I made the reservation. I told Taluks about the price and he thought it's too expensive, and that if we order pizza in Canadian Pizza it will be buy one and get one free for the same price. I was a bit confused for a while but I wanted a filipino sweets instead of pizza. I told him I can get pizza in Indonesia easily but not the halayang ube or cassava cake.
The following day I went to Kabayan restaurant to pick up either halayang ube or cassava cake. The man in the counter said halayang ube was $10 more expensive than cassava cake. I didn't want to spend more than what I have prepared so I bought cassava cake instead. I was thinking of taking MRT on my way to Izay's house, where the gathering will be celebrated. I waited for 5 minutes and here comes the man with a big plastic bag of my order. When he handed it to me it was sooooooooo heavy, it feels like 5 kilos. I decided to take a cab instead and arrived in Izay's house 30 minutes early.
After I had eaten my lunch I took a piece of cassava cake and it was very very tasty! The sweetness is just right and it was soft unlike other cassava cake I have tried. My friends liked the cake as well and I was happy I made the right decision to bring cassava cake instead of pizza.

No comments: